top of page

Want to be part of the Industry but don't know how to start??

Welcome! If you're interested in becoming a Professional Tax Preparer or maybe you're brand new to the tax business or you're finally branching out on your own.

Either way, let us be the first to welcome you to the business and get you off on the right foot. 


We would love to help you! Please email us with any questions. . 


New Preparer Checklist 

Step 1 – Apply for your EFIN. 

This critical step is often overlooked because a lot of people don't know they need it. An EFIN, Electronic Filing Identification Number, allows you to file both federal and state tax returns electronically.


       The process generally takes about 45 days. Ready for your EFIN? Click HERE  to begin.

Step 2 – Obtain or renew your PTIN.

 A PTIN, Preparer Tax Identification Number, is required for any person who prepares a tax return for compensation. This step is required for each Preparer in your office.


      The PTIN process can be quickly completed online, to get started click HERE to begin.


Step 3 – Find out what your state requirements are. This is also a crucial step as some steps have specific requirements beyond the federal requirements. You can learn more about your state’s requirements by visiting the IRS State Page. Click here to learn more.


Step 4 – Evaluate you market and find a Software Provider that is right for you. Call The Tax Circle and one of our representatives would be more that happy to help you set up your Tax Office, call 1(616)308-5006, or email us  we assure you that joining "the circle" will be the best decision made for your new and exciting business venture.

In addition to your EFIN and PTIN which are mandatory, you can also become an Acceptance Agent.

A Certified Acceptance Agent is a person or an entity (business or organization) who, pursuant to a written agreement with the IRS, is authorized to assist individuals and other foreign persons who do not qualify for a Social Security Number but who still need a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) to file a Form 1040 .

bottom of page